The hospital is billing me a $1000.00 for a service they told me it is free ! how can i dispute it and win my case

Loma Linda, CA |

this is so strange, i went to the emergency and asked if my medi care card is qualified for the visit, was told no it is not, what is the problem the 2 front desk employees asked and i said my heart was beating fast that morning. the 2 nice employees told me we can check your vital signs for FREE just to make sure your are OK . i told them that i don't have any insurance and they said no problem we will not even ask for your social s.number. i thought it is too good to be true and went for the simple blood pressure check and a simple EKG test, after that i decided to leave the hospital fo rthe fear of them giving me more tests and then send me to the cleaners , i told the head nurse that i have to leave and i am not comfortable with this . few days later they billed me a $1000.00 ..help

1. You can set up a payment plan with
    most hospitals. Did you sign any
    paperwork?

THIS ANSWER IS PURELY FOR ACADEMIC DISCUSSION ONLY AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE ANY TYPE OF LEGAL ADVICE OR LEGAL REPRESENTATION.

2. First, I would try to get an answer as to why MediCare was not accepted as payment for your visit -- have you tried submitting the bill to MediCare? I would also check the bill to verify that the services billed match the services you received. Have you tried calling the hospital to ask who was working the emergency room on the day you went in and perhaps tried calling those employees to follow up and see if they remember you coming in? Without more facts, it is hard to tell if you are responsible for the bill but I would definitely do some more fact finding before paying.

The above information does not constitute legal advice and does not form the basis for an attorney-client relationship.