The Friend of the Court in Michigan has informed me that, due to computer error, they incorrectly calculated the amount of child

Asked over 1 year ago - Detroit, MI

support due for my youngest child in the amount of over $50,000. This covers several years. She will be 18 in 12 months. I have always paid when due and never been delinquent. I do not have the money in a lump sum, own no property other than a car, and have no credit with which to borrow it. The child is no longer in Michigan. Can the court decide to simply to assess the amount over twelve months on top of what I would normally pay for child support? Can I get this moved to the state where the child have lived for several years?

1. Audra Rose McClure

2

Answered . There's a lot going on in this question. It seems crazy for you to owe that much due to a computer error that they just caught. Were you paying via direct withdrawal from your paycheck? If so, didn't you notice that the amount did not add up to the amount the court ordered you to pay? Either way, they will almost certainly work out a payment plan that is based on your income. They can't withhold more than 50% of your disposable income from your paycheck.

Why would you want to get this moved to a state that you don't live in? It seems from what you've said that it's in your interest to keep the case where it's more accessible to you, and moving it to a different state won't decrease the amount you owe because the amount is based on a court order that the other state will likely enforce.

You really should consult with a good family law attorney about this; many attorneys provide free consultations, and might be able to give you more specific advice about how to handle this. Good luck!