The financial aid office at my granddaughters school called and asked if I would co sign a student loan for her. I said yes. I

Hephzibah, GA |

This is now in default. How can I be responsible if I had no further contact I signed no paper work, received no information. She walked out with $17,000

Your granddaughter probably forged your name and submitted the paperwork. That would explain how she got the loan without you signing anything.

↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.

I agree. It seems that either the school did something wrong, or your granddaughter did. If you did not sign for the debt, then you should not be held responsible, but you may want to question your granddaughter before taking other steps.

Anastatia Quirk Ellis, Esq. is licensed to practice law in Florida, Massachusetts and U.S. Tax Court, This answer is provided as general information and does not initiate an attorney-client relationship.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt