The driver who hit our car contacted us, should we reply him?

Seattle, WA |

Hello.
My boyfriend and I went to eat at a restaurant, and when we came back to our car, two ppl approached us and told that the car parked behind us hit our car earlier. It left a dent and scratches. When the driver came back, we asked him if he hit our car earlier. He said,"do you think I hit your car? just take down my number." We were calm, but the driver cursed at us a lot. We asked to exchange info such as full name and insurance no, but he refused. All we got is his phone number. Before he left, he once again hit the back of our car and it left another deep scratch. We took a pic of his plate (it's a us gov car plate), and contacted the insurance company immediately. We reported this to police. The driver contacted us, saying he would proceed through police and DC. Wht should we do?

Hello,

I would just let your insurance company handle it. If you got the contact information for the witnesses, give that to the insurance company as well. Good luck and I hope everything gets resolved for you soon.

Sincerely,

Arthur D. Leritz

Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Leritz is licensed to practice law in the State of Washington. The response herein does not constitute legal advice nor does it seek to establish an attorney/client relationship, but rather offers educational insight only. Please feel free to visit Mr. Leritz's website for additional information: www.adlergiersch.com

Thank you! I'll let the insurance company know that the driver contacted us.

I agree. You should give you insurance company all the information possible and make a claim under thier insurance coverage if they have insurance. Contact an attorney if you can't find anything.

Gather all information and turn it over to your insurance company and the police. Let each of them handle this. That's why you pay premiums and taxes.

The author of this answer is an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of Arizona. Unless both you and the author have signed a formal retainer agreement, you are not the author's client, and the author's discussion of issues does not constitute legal advice. Opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author, and are neither privileged nor confidential.

Don't deal directly with him. It sounds like he either was drunk, or otherwise out of control. Simply report it to your insurance company, give your company the witness' names if you have them, and let the company fix your car and chase the other driver.

It is best to contact your insurance company. In this instance, you should not deal with the driver directly.

Give your insurance company the information and tell them what happened and they will handle it

If you contacted your insurance company and the police, I think the only thing you can really do now is cooperate and make sure both the insurance company and the police have all the facts surrounding the incident. Luckily, it seems as though no one was injured.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Recommended articles about Personal injury