The driver that hit my car had no insurance, I only have PLD. Does he have to pay for my repairs?

Asked over 3 years ago - Monroe, MI

As Michigan is a no fault state, am I still entitle to money from him?

1. Answered . You may be able seek up to $500 under the mini-tort statute for your property damage. See this legal guide by Michigan Autolaw expert Tom James.
    http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/how-to-col...

2. 1

1

Answered . Small claims court is always a good option.

Click on name or picture to see profile page.
  3. Answered . In researching this issue for you, I came across an extremely useful site: www.michigan.gov/documents/cis_ofis_ip202_25083...

It's against the law in Michigan and frankly every other state that I am aware of, to drive a motor vehicle without basic car insurance. It appears from the information contained within the site I listed, that your basic no fault insurance will not pay for damage to your vehicle.

As one the other contributor advised, it appears your course of action is to file a lawsuit against this other driver. You can also contact the dept. of motor vehicles and they will more likely than not suspend his or her license.

In order to have your vehicle covered for damages in the event of a future accident, consider paying for collision coverage. Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

HIDEN, ROTT & OERTLE, LLP

Michael Rott

4. Answered . I agree with the other attorneys. Try small claims court.