The driver admitted fault already to an accident where they ran a stop sign. A claim was filed do I have to give her my policy?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

A driver ran a stop sign and proceeded into ongoing traffic hitting the front of my car.A file was claimed the next morning. She admitted fault already to her insurers. Her parents are now calling repeatedly trying to get my policy information because their car is in much worse shape. Am I required to give them my insurance information. I do not want to file a claim with my own insurance? Especially because I was no way at fault? I have no time or money to pay for deductibles even if it will be reimbursed later. What should I do to stop the calls? Can I choose to only work with their insurance company who the claim has already been filed with? I want them to pay for it all with nothing coming out of my pocket! Again the driver admitted already fault even with her company. Help Please!!!

1. Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Pro

7

Answered . You do have an obligation to exchange information. But if they are harassing you, cease contact and advise your carrier of this. Also, check your policy, as it most likely requires this. The insurers will settle it between them.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email:  stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website:  www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog:  www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

Pro

5

Answered . Report it to your insurance company to resolve. If you were injured, retain a local personal injury lawyer to handle this.

3. Zedrick Thomas Braden III

3

Answered . Hello. I strongly suggests that you report the accident to your insurance company. Even though the other driver admits fault, you could still be sued. Act quickly and you should hire an attorney. I will be happy to discuss this further and in more detail. There are additional suggestions that I can make.

4. Burton A. Padove

Pro

2

Answered . You do have an obligation to report the accident to your insurer, so you might as well do that asap. If you do not do so and the other party sues you, your insurer may refuse to provide coverage. You should exchange your insurance information with the other driver and let your insurer deny the claim if the other person is at fault. There will be no reason for the phone calls to continue once the insurance info is exchanged.

5. Charles Joseph Michael Candiano

Pro

1

Answered . You committed the worst sin possible in any auto accident by not making a police report. If you do not want to process the claim through your insurance, you can still report the accident and have them communicate with the other driver and her insurance. Don't think they won't "know" you had an accident just because you don't tell them. If you are NOT liable, it should NOT affect your rates.

If you were NOT injured, there is no reason for you to hire an attorney.

Unless you have an older car that you have NO intention of repairing, do NOT let the other insurance company repair it. Put the claim through your own insurance and have the car repaired properly by a reputable shop of the dealer. Car repairs ALWAYS cast much more than they are estimated to cost. The estimates are low so as to appease the insurance company. Inevitably, when the shop or dealer is repairing the car, a number of missed or overlooked items need to be addressed. Leave that between the insurance company and the body shop or dealer. NEVER accept a check unless you have no intention of repairing the car. You will be hundreds or thousands of dollars short of being able to repair the vehicle properly.

6. Louis Joseph Meyer

Pro

1

Answered . Report it. You should have no worries if she was at fault.