Skip to main content

The DMV sent me a clean title to my new car. Can the car company take my car if I quit making payments?

Augusta, GA |
Filed under: Car loan Vehicle title

I bought a used car from an as is car lot that I had less than a month before i started having lots of issues. My salesman said he wouldd handle anything that goes wrong in the first few months.When i called with a problem the boss said its your car your problem. I have the clean title and want to use payment money to fix it or trade it in.

Attorney Answers 2


Everything may depend on the exact wording to the papers that you signed when you got the car, but the car company may be able to rightfully repossess the car even if the title was mistakenly issued without a lien.

You should consult with an experienced consumer attorney. I suggest you look for one at An experienced attorney may see a way to help you with your problems with the car company.

Skaar & Feagle, LLP maintains offices in Marietta (770 427 5600) and Decatur (404 373 1970), Georgia. The information ("the answer") provided above is for general information and educational purposes only. The answer should not be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Posting the question and reviewing the answer does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. My firm will ask you to sign a written contract prior to the commencement of representation in any attorney-client relationship. Please contact 770 427 5600 or 404 373 1970, if you wish to discuss your situation further. Skaar & Feagle, LLP accepts select consumer rights cases. These cases include, but are not limited to, cases of abusive and unlawful collection activity, debt defense, credit reporting of false or obsolete (old) information, high interest lenders (title pawns, payday loans), debt management plans, and fraud or unfair practices in the sale and financing of automobiles.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree


Most likely, they will try to correct the error and have the title re-issued if you signed the appropriate security documents and everything else is in order. They may even try to repo. At the very least, you would still owe the money and the could sue you. You can pay a lawyer (plus repair costs, and the balance of the loan), or just pay on the car as you agreed to do when you bought it as is. A firm response would require a review of all the documents, but it first depends on who you want to pay and how much you want to risk. You could pay significant fees to try to sue for unlawful repo, even if you have a good claim against them.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Car loan topics

Recommended articles about Car loan

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics