Skip to main content

The district court's clerk said she cannot file an appeal without $178 fully paid at the time. Is there a way to get past this?

Salina, KS |

I am trying to appeal a municipal conviction by getting a hearing in district court. I do not have $178 to pay all at once. I do not think it is fair for people who cannot afford this. How can I file an appeal without paying this? I cannot get a court-appointed lawyer until a judge grants me this appeal so I am not sure what i should do at the moment.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Dear ?,

    Most states have a statute requiring fees to be waived for people who have been declared indigent, i.e., too poor to pay. Each state's courts have different standards as to what indigent means. But, you should contact your nearest public defender office to find out about a possible fee waiver.

    Yours sincerely,
    Tim Provis
    Cal. Bar No. 104800
    Wis. Bar No. 1020123
    Member: U.S. Supreme Court Bar

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics