Skip to main content

The Dissolution of Writ of Garnishment was file in January, now in March the 25% was garnished from my paycheck.

Jacksonville, FL |
Filed under: Credit Wage garnishment

Neither my employer or I were served with any notice that a new writ had been filed. The collection attorney contacted our payroll company directly and sent the original writ that was dismissed. Do I have grounds to make them stop garnishing my wages and can I recover what was already taken out?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Something's not right with this picture. I'm not sure what you mean when you say the dissolution was "file (sic) in January." But let's just say that if a dissolution was in fact entered, then what the attorney did was clearly improper. However, I find it hard to believe that an attorney would file a writ with your employer knowing that it had been dissolved. Again, something's missing. Go online or go to the Clerk of Court to look at the docket so you will know the chain of events.



The Notice of Dissolution of Writ of Garnishment was issued by the court for failure to proceed and the case has been closed which I verified on the docket.

Eugene P. Castagliuolo

Eugene P. Castagliuolo


Try taking a certified copy of dissolution order (get this from Clerk of Court) to your employer. If employer doesn't honor it then you may (MAY!!) have a valid cause of action against lawyer AND employer.



Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.


Please do check with the court and find out how to get a certified copy of the dismissal of the writ. Sad to say, but there are collection agencies that have tried to serve a garnishment order for credit card bills and student loans before a judgment was ever entered. If you have a certified copy of the order of the writ that was dismissed, bring it to your payroll dept and have them immediately remove it for the next paycheck. Then, you'll also have to call the collection agency/attorney and tell them to reverse the garnishment. You might ask the payroll dept to do it for you as well. If you are in the right and they garmished improperly and don't want to reverse payment, you'll need a consultation with an attorney to determine your next best step.

This communication is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. It is always recommended you consult an attorney in person to discuss your case. Leonore M. Greller, Esq. is a Supreme Court Certified Civil Circuit and Family Mediator and a Qualified Residential Mortgage Foreclosure Mediator and Arbitrator.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer