The dissolution is already filed, what next?

I've filed the following paperwork in California: Declaration, Declaration Income & Expence, filed uniform child custody, summons family law, petition dissolution, proof of service, request for default (X defaulted on signing paperwork)...last paperwork to the court was 5/14/08 and all have cleared the courts. We both have pentions, one property and three children. One turned 18 last July, another turns 18 this August and the last is 13. This lawyer I've been talking to says I need a dissolution of marraige but I already filed that didn't I? PLEASE HELP! What do I need to do next to be divorced?

I already entered a default, what is the name of the piece of paper I need to have custody, pensions, home and everything else done? So, a "petition of dissolution" is different than a "judgement of dissolution"? I can get divorced 6 months after the the "petition of dissolution" is filed, right?

If your spouse did not file a response to your summons and petition, you can request the court enter a default in the case. You must then prepare a judgment setting forth custody, support and the division of assets including your pensions. Most courts have family law facilitator's offices to assist litigants in the process. Consider visiting the facilitator's office where you filed. I have provided a link with additional information below.

Good luck!

You have to submit a Judgment for Dissolution package that includes provisions for custody, child support, and division of community property assets and obligations at a minimum. You need to do one of two things: pay the lawyer to whom you've been talking to prepare the final documents, or go to the self-help center..

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody