The dissolution is already filed, what next?

Asked over 5 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I've filed the following paperwork in California: Declaration, Declaration Income & Expence, filed uniform child custody, summons family law, petition dissolution, proof of service, request for default (X defaulted on signing paperwork)...last paperwork to the court was 5/14/08 and all have cleared the courts. We both have pentions, one property and three children. One turned 18 last July, another turns 18 this August and the last is 13. This lawyer I've been talking to says I need a dissolution of marraige but I already filed that didn't I? PLEASE HELP! What do I need to do next to be divorced?

Additional information

I already entered a default, what is the name of the piece of paper I need to have custody, pensions, home and everything else done?

So, a "petition of dissolution" is different than a "judgement of dissolution"? I can get divorced 6 months after the the "petition of dissolution" is filed, right?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Annaluisa Padilla

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . If your spouse did not file a response to your summons and petition, you can request the court enter a default in the case. You must then prepare a judgment setting forth custody, support and the division of assets including your pensions. Most courts have family law facilitator's offices to assist litigants in the process. Consider visiting the facilitator's office where you filed. I have provided a link with additional information below.

    Good luck!

  2. Judith Ann Routledge

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . You have to submit a Judgment for Dissolution package that includes provisions for custody, child support, and division of community property assets and obligations at a minimum. You need to do one of two things: pay the lawyer to whom you've been talking to prepare the final documents, or go to the self-help center..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,095 answers this week

2,949 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,095 answers this week

2,949 attorneys answering