The dept of treasury took all of my income tax refund, I'm a single mother, I only made 12,000 last year and were getting evictd

Old Hickory, TN |

I spoke with the dept of education and was told the only way to possibly get my refund is to mail them a court ordered eviction letter, along with my w2, tax return, letter from landlord, water bill, and electric bill. I owe the landlord 3000 for back rent so now he has filed for eviction. My children and I will be homeless soon, I lost my job 2 weeks ago, and needed to buy a car and catch up on all of our bills with this money. They won't even give me a time estimate on how long it will take to get a response as to whether or not we get approved for this hardship. We will be homeless, every dept ive spoken with has been very inconsiderate and shows me no empathy, I'm in no way over exxagerating this situation. What can I do keep my family from being broke and homeless?? Please help :(

I was suppose to get my refund today and just received the letter yesterday saying that they took my entire refund! I spoke with HR Block and the dept of education even took the filing fee, so now not only are we broke, but I also owe HR Block $300 for filing my return. They won't even tell me when I will find out if the hardship got approced, so we wil be homeless while I wait for my money. Making 12,000 all year I couldn't even afford to pay our bills, so obviously I couldn't afford to pay my student loans. We are literally dirt poor right now. I just lost my job, we have no car, the car we had got broken into on Christmas Eve in the Walmart parking lot and the robbers took everthing. My children had a rough Christmas and I was planning on making up for that with some of this money. I'm overwhelmed and this couldn't have happened at a worse time for us. Were so sad and have no idea where to go or what we can do now :(

I don't think there is much of a legal solution here, sorry. A job (any job even day-labour) and focusing on the immediate necessities until you get some breathing room. Have you checked on unemployment and food stamps?

The South in general is kind of a rough place area to be poor in in that there just isn't the social net present in the North. You can check with churches and groups like the Shriners. You might check with the Nashville Rescue Mission:

Legal Disclaimer. This communication is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship between you and James Ronald Tucker, Jr. Thus, your receipt or transmission of information to or from the James Ronald Tucker, Jr. alone does not create an attorney-client relationship or ensure confidentiality. James Ronald Tucker, Jr. assumes no liability for the use or interpretation of information contained herein. The legal information herein provided is for general informational purposes only. It is not intended as professional counsel and should not be used as such. You should contact a competent attorney in your area to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law