The DA wants my son to pay $3,400 in restitution for burglary and destruction of minor property before his Preliminary Hearing.

Asked about 1 year ago - Drumright, OK

His attorney did not object. Is this normal? Isn't restitution ordered at sentencing usually as part of a plea deal? And aren't they supposed to take the financial status of the Defendant into consideration? He is newly married, with a wife that is pregnant with a high risk pregnancy. He is the sole provider making $10/hr. Does he have any other options? Even payments? DA wants cash at the PH.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Mitzy Fryer

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . The DA should not be communicating with your son if he is represented. Your son's attorney should be working to negotiate payment arrangements. Make sure your son explains his financial issues to his attorney and see if he can work out a payment plan.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,986 answers this week

2,954 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,986 answers this week

2,954 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary