Skip to main content

The custodial parent wants the non-custodial parent to eliminate parenting time in lieu of terminating child support.

Minneapolis, MN |

The custodial parent wants the non-custodial parent to eliminate parenting time in lieu of her terminating a charging child support order and all arrears to relocate out of state. If an agreement is reached, what can the non-custodial parent arrange to ensure child support isn't enforced in MN or some other forum in the future despite sacrificing parenting time? Thanks.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. I strongly suspect that you are being misinformed (or that you are misunderstanding) how child custody and child support laws work. This question also seems similar to another question posted on this forum, which mentioned public assistance. If the custodial parent is indeed receiving public assistance, only the county can forgive arrears that are owed to the county (which they rarely do). Additionally, a parent cannot ordinarily permanently waive child support as the right to support is considered the child's right and not the parent's. Agreeing to an out-of-state move for your child is a huge decision which will have far-reaching impacts on your rights as a parent, as well as financial and other legal implications. I strongly suggest you seek legal counsel on these matters.

    I appreciate your endorsements! If you "agree," or found this response "helpful," please mark it as so. You can contact The Law Offices of Sara M.G. Rojas, PLLC or find out more information about us and the services we offer using any of the following: phone or fax- 612-206-3722; postal mail- 310 Fourth Avenue South, Suite 5010, Minneapolis, MN 55415; email-; web- Disclaimer: Nothing in this response constitutes legal advice or creates an attorney-client relationship. You should always consult with a local attorney regarding your specific legal circumstances. Answers posted on Avvo are intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation about your specific legal issues, with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. You should not rely solely upon this website, or other resources which may be linked to an answer in addressing your legal issues. Questions and answers, or other postings to the Avvo site, are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. You should never post identifying information about you legal situation online. The full Avvo Terms of Use are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of Minnesota and the U.S. District of Minnesota. Any general information I provide about non-Minnesota laws should be verified with an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

  2. You need to look for and hire a family law attorney in your area after searching Avvo with the Find a Lawyer tool

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

  3. This appears to be a duplicative post: See prior response. As to seeking private attorney counsel, we avvo attorneys are available. All the best. Tricia Dwyer Esq.

    MINNEAPOLIS/ST. PAUL and outlying areas to ST CLOUD. Do seek legal counsel for your personal legal issues and needs. This post is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This post is to be considered general information which may or may not apply to your personal situation.

  4. Child support may always be modified and, it is unlikely a court would agree to such an arrangement without more.

    Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement with this office. Any response to email inquiries should be considered general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. You should always consult a lawyer in your state regarding your specific legal matter.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics