Skip to main content

The court ordered sanctions within 20 days. How can I pay for it?

Los Angeles, CA |
Filed under: Litigation

Do I mail a check to a certain address or pay it in person in court? Is there a specific document I have to submit along with the payment?

Attorney Answers 3


It depends if sanctions were awarded to opposing party or to court. If to court, you can pay at clerk's office. If to opposing party, just send a check to opposing counsel.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

Mark as helpful


Attorney Fink is correct. Most likely, the sanctions are to be paid to the opposing side, in which case, you can just mail a check to the opposing counsel. No documents are necessary if you are paying the other side.

If you are paying the court in Los Angeles, there is a civil deposit form.

The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author (who is only admitted to practice law in the State of California). For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.

Mark as helpful


If the sanctions are to the Court, call the courtroom clerk where you were sanctioned and ask. Generally, checks are made to the "Clerk of the Court", but some courts have their own rules and with regard to sanctions, I imagine the safest thing is to just call the court and ask.

If the sanctions are for another party, however, the Court should have told you if they are to be paid to the attorney, the client, or both. Again, a simple phone call to the person you are paying should solve the problem. I would advise paying the Court as soon as possible, but with regard to opposing counsels or parties, you can take your time if you want. There isn't much they can do to force you to pay unless they get the court order turned into a judgment or something they can use like a judgment and then begin collection proceedings. Depending on what the sanctions are for, the smart thing is to probably just make sure you are paying the right person/entity and get it done timely. It is never fun, but it is part of the ugliness of litigation...

This response is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. The facts of your personal situation, along with your states’s specific laws and changes in the law that may have occurred after the question or response at issue took place. It is therefore HIGHLY ADVISABLE to consult an attorney before finalizing any documents, taking any actions, or making any decisions. It is recommended that where an issue involving the law or use, interpretation, or application thereof is involved, that the user consult an attorney prior to the final decision or commencement of any legal action. Reading the foregoing response/information constitutes the readers' consent and acknowledgment that no legal advice is herein provided and no attorney-client relationship is in anyway created between reader and responding person.

Mark as helpful

Litigation topics

Recommended articles about Litigation

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics