The condo above me had a water leak and I have property damage. What to do if I don't have my own insurance?

Asked 10 months ago - Denver, CO

There was some issue in the apartment above that resulted in sprinklers going off. The water came through the walls and damaged my property. The fire department wrote a report blaming the tenant. She allegedly accepts the liability and is insured, so is the owner of that condo upstairs. I had to find another accommodation for my tenant because my apartment is currently inhabitable. The owner, tenant and the HOA filed a claim and as the owner told me they are waiting for my claim. However, I don't have an insurance and thus I don't know what to file where. Please advice what I need to do and if I need a legal representation because I currently live out of the country. Thank you very much in advance

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Christopher Daniel Leroi


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you live out of the country, you definitely need an attorney here locally in order to represent you. Claims should be filed with the tenant in the upstairs apartment and with any other individual that has insurance to determine liability.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to... more
  2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You do need local counsel and you do need to act right away as there are time limits with such claims. Look for someone that deals with premises liability cases and homeowners matters.

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship.... more
  3. Cheryl Rivera Smith

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Fault lies with whoever caused the damage.

    Actively practicing law in Texas. Inactive licenses in Arizona and Georgia. All answers are general in nature... more
  4. Tatiana Kadetskaya

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Most likely the owner of the apartment above will be liable for the damage. Contact an insurance lawyer who will help you get coverage.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now