The college I graduated from lost its accreditation and has been shut down. Can I sue for my student loans?

Asked over 1 year ago - El Cajon, CA

In 2009 I attended UEI San Diego and graduated from it's computer systems tech course with a 4.0 GPA and received my diploma. The school promised to help me find an internship to complete my course and find a job in a related field. But when it came time for me to find an internship no one would answer the phone, so I found my own. After completing that on my own and it was time to find a job, again no answer to multiple voice mails and emails. Since then the school has lost its accreditation and has been shut down. The education I got was worthless, no employers in that field even took me seriously at interviews, and now I'm working in an unrelated field, and I owe a lot of money in student loans. I don't think I should be held responsible for the student loans I was left with.

1. Scott Dale Mitchell

3

Answered . You are in a tough spot because the lender who gave you the money likely had nothing to do with the school closing. You could investigate whether or not the lender knew of the problems with the school, but this could be very challenging. Yes you may be able to sue the school, but they are probably in bankruptcy themselves. If the school is still operating, you may consider a lawsuit. Of course this can be expensive. If no legal recourse seems to make sense for you, I would stop talking about the school losing it's accreditation to others and use the credentials you received from them as valid. If they were properly credentialed when they gave you your degree, then your degree is valid. Keep in communication with the student loan people and never just ignore them. There are deferments, forbearances etc. available.

2. Brian Crozier Whitaker

2

Answered . Everyone needs to do their due diligence when selecting any provider of services. Unfortunately, you, along with many others, assumed that risk when you contracted for the services.

3. Christine C McCall

Pro

2

Answered . There is something called a "Closed School Discharge" that you need to investigate. Here is a starting point: http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/forgivenes...

The qualifications for this relief are narrow, but dig in to the subject matter for all the info.

Then, if necessary, contact the student loan ombudsman program:
    https://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/disputes/...

4. Scott Benjamin Riddle

Pro

2

Answered . No. That is a risk anyone (and any of us responding) took when we chose a school and degree program. Diplomas come with no guarantee of a job.