The charges are murder, kidnapping, tampering w/ evidence, is this death penalty case in Ky?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Florence, KY

Our friend was murdered, the suspect is being charged with murder, kidnapping and tampering with evidence. They are considering this a death penalty case. I was reading about what qualifies as a death penalty case. I didn't notice kidnapping being an aggravating circumstance just arson, rape, sodomy, arson, robbery, burglary, more than one murder, history of prior capital offense, history of assaultive convictions and a couple other things that don't apply. I know there was not a robbery or arson and no prior serious convictions. If there was a rape would it have been charged ? I'm just wanting to brace myself incase this comes out in court. Or would kidnapping be considered an aggravating circumstance? Hoping not to hear she was raped or sodomized. Thank you for any info.

1. Frank Mascagni III

Answered . Kentucky Revised Statutes

Title 50. KENTUCKY PENAL CODE

Chapter 532. CLASSIFICATION AND DESIGNATION OF OFFENSES - AUTHORIZED DISPOSITION

Current through Chapter 162, with the exception of Chapter 1, of the 2012 Legislative Session

§ 532.025. Presentence hearings - Use of juvenile court records - Aggravating or mitigating circumstances - Instruction to jury

(1) (a) Upon conviction of a defendant in cases where the death penalty may be imposed, a hearing shall be conducted. In such hearing, the judge shall hear additional evidence in extenuation, mitigation, and aggravation of punishment, including the record of any prior criminal convictions and pleas of guilty or pleas of nolo contendere of the defendant, or the absence of any prior conviction and pleas; provided, however, that only such evidence in aggravation as the state has made known to the defendant prior to his trial shall be admissible. Subject to the Kentucky Rules of Evidence, juvenile court records of adjudications of guilt of a child for an offense that would be a felony if committed by an adult shall be admissible in court at any time the child is tried as an adult, or after the child becomes an adult, at any subsequent criminal trial relating to that same person. Juvenile court records made available pursuant to this section may be used for impeachment purposes during a criminal trial and may be used during the sentencing phase of a criminal trial; however, the fact that a juvenile has been adjudicated delinquent of an offense that would be a felony if the child had been an adult shall not be used in finding the child to be a persistent felony offender based upon that adjudication. Release of the child's treatment, medical, mental, or psychological records is prohibited unless presented as evidence in Circuit Court. Release of any records resulting from the child's prior abuse and neglect under Title IV-E or IV-B of the Federal Social Security Act is also prohibited. The judge shall also hear argument by the defendant or his counsel and the prosecuting attorney, as provided by law, regarding the punishment to be imposed. The prosecuting attorney shall open and the defendant shall conclude the argument. In cases in which the death penalty may be imposed, the judge when sitting without a jury shall follow the additional procedure provided in subsection (2) of this section. Upon the conclusion of the evidence and arguments, the judge shall impose the sentence or shall recess the trial for the purpose of taking the sentence within the limits prescribed by law. If the trial court is reversed on appeal because of error only in the presentence hearing, the new trial which may be ordered shall apply only to the issue of punishment;

(b) In all cases in which the death penalty may be imposed and which are tried by a jury, upon a return of a verdict of guilty by the jury, the court shall resume the trial and conduct a presentence hearing before the jury. Such hearing shall be conducted in the same manner as presentence hearings conducted before the judge as provided in paragraph (a) of this subsection, including the record of any prior criminal convictions and pleas of guilty or pleas of nolo contendere of the defendant. Upon the conclusion of the evidence and arguments, the judge shall give the jury appropriate instructions, and the jury shall retire to determine whether any mitigating or aggravating circumstances, as defined in subsection (2) of this section, exist and to recommend a sentence for the defendant. Upon the findings of the jury, the judge shall fix a sentence within the limits prescribed by law.

(2) In all cases of offenses for which the death penalty may be authorized, the judge shall consider, or he shall include in his instructions to the jury for it to consider, any mitigating circumstances or aggravating circumstances otherwise authorized by law and any of the following statutory aggravating or mitigating circumstances which may be supported by

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

1

Answered . Unless a prosecutor from Kentucky uses this board -- which is unlilely -- you will never get a "yes" or a "no" to the question "is this a death penalty case?" Why? Because it literally takes months to make that decision in a prosecutor's office and it is a decision that is not take lightly.

The idiot from Colorado who shot all of the people in the movie theater is facing multiple counts of murder and the death penalty decision has not been made. It will be. Same as with the case you care about.

Good luck to you.

3. James Regan

Pro

1

Answered . Contact the Victim Advocate at:

Boone County Attorney’s Office
    2988 Washington Street
    P.O. Box 83
    Burlington, Kentucky 41005
    Phone (859) 334-320