The car that hit me while i was riding a bicycle has no insurace, whats my next step

Asked over 1 year ago - Homestead, FL

i was in icu in critical condition admited in the hospital for 2 weeks. 3 fractured verdabraids 4 surgurys for skin grafting, my medical bills are sky high. im scared cause i cant offord it and now i cant work so im losing everything. no income ow whatsoever. im going hungry.what do i doooo. some one help me please

Pro

18

Answered . Do you have insurance on your own car with UM coverage? A personal injury lawyer can pursue a claim against that.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  2. Robert Bruce Kopelson

15

Answered . Contact an injury lawyer near you. if you have auto insurance it may provide benefits. The lawyer an look into ownership of th other car, the driver, if the driver was in the course and scope of work etc. and try to find a source of compensation.

3. David John Glatthorn

Pro

13

Answered . I'm very sorry about your injury. Florida law does not require drivers to carry liability insurance . You need to consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer who can explore all possible avenues of recovery. It's a possibility the other driver was on the job or that environmental factors(such as vegetation blocking a line of sight) were involved.
    Beyond that , if you lived with a resident relative, there is a possibility of uninsured motorist coverage and /or PIP coverage.
    I urge you to contact the appropriate lawyer ASAP. Best of luck to you.

4. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

11

Answered . Hire an attorney in your city to look into your case. A P.I. attorney does not charge for a consultation and might be able to sue your own insurance company or look for other coverage. Best of luck.

5. Hee Joong Kim

11

Answered . Retain local counsel. Most attorneys offer a free consultation and there might be one who is willing to take this on a contingency basis.

6. David B Pittman

Pro

8

Answered . I agree with the other lawyers that you should obtain a free consultation to get advice form an experienced personal injury lawyer.

7. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

8

Answered . You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  8. Jesse Houston Clark

6

Answered . 1) If you have insurance, you may have PIP benefits available, but they will barely put a dent in your medical bills.

2) If you have insurance, Uninsured Motorist coverage (if you have it) can stand in the shoes of the vehicle that hit you.

3) You can bring a claim against the person that hit you, but they may not have the money to compensate you, either. You may be able to obtain a judgement and claim a lien, but you will bear the legal costs of doing so.

4) Health insurance, medicare, and medicaid will step in next to help cover your medical bills. If you are ineligible for or do not have any of these services, see #5.

5) The hospital, as a last resort, may have charitable funds available to assist you in covering your expenses. They may also be willing to negotiate a payment plan or balance reduction to assist you in meeting your obligations.

I'm genuinely sorry for the situation you find yourself in. I rode a mid 80's Fuji roadbike for several miles, everyday, for several years. In that time I was hit twice by automobiles, but was fortunate enough to never sustain any significant injuries. Ironically, it sounds like you are lucky that the outcome was not worse. Talk with the hospital and see what they offer as a solution.

You may want to consult an attorney who can investigate this individual, but many attorneys shy away from your type of case since there is a lower chance of recovery than if the driver had auto insurance. You can always contact a private investigator to perform an asset check independently to see if it is worth pursuing a suit against the driver.

One or more answers have been taken down.