The at Fault driver already submitted claim to insurance and admitted being at fault can my vehicle begin getting fixed?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

A driver hit my vehicle and they were at fault. Unfortunately I was in between the renewal process of my own insurance so wasn't covered at the time. I immediatley updated everything and got covered the following morning which I know won't help the initial incident. Luckily, the at fault driver already submitted the claim to their insurer and admitted being at fault. I was not injured. However The damages will be costly I was already quoted for over 3000 to repair. Am I still able to utilize the insurers car rental service. And is the company still responsible for fixing my car even if I wasn't covered at the time? The only thing I want is my car repaired and perhaps a rental for the time frame it is being repaired. Can I still get those things through the other party's insurance company?

1. Joseph Younes

7

Answered . Yes, you are entitled to repairs and rental. The rental will only be for a reasonable time. If it is a substandard insurance company things will get complicated. Good Luck.

2. Burton A. Padove

Pro

7

Answered . Your lack of insurance has nothing to do with the other party's responsibility to compensate you for your damages. Try and get direct billing to the insurer for the reasonable rental expense.

3. Charles Joseph Michael Candiano

Pro

7

Answered . The short answer is yes.

4. Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Pro

3

Answered . Yes.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website: www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

5. George G. Burke III

4

Answered . Yes. The other posters are correct.

6. Clifford Horwitz

Pro

1

Answered . Defendant is responsible for your losses. It is irrelevant whether you were covered under your insurance.

Pro

2

Answered . Yes