The apartments where i live was recently sold and the new owners are trying to raise the rent but i have lease already.

Asked over 2 years ago - San Jacinto, CA

the apartments where i rent was recently sold and the new owners are raising the rent and are trying to get all of us tenants to sign new leases when we already have leases from the previous owner. i would appreciate any info you have on this matter... thank you

1. Tara Renee Burd

2

Best Answer

Answered . My colleagues are correct. Ultimately, your issue comes down to the terms of your lease. If you're in a fixed term, it is less likely the new landlord will be able to increase your rent. However, at the expiration of a fixed term, many leases allow landlords to raise the rent as long as the landlord provides adequate notice to the tenant (such as 60 days notice).

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

2

Answered . Was the apartment building voluntarily sold, or was it sold in a foreclosure sale?

Take a look at your lease. In most instances. the new owner must honor the existing lease agreement, and cannot arbitrarily increase the rent or change any of the terms of the lease that is still in effect.

3. Dave Bahr

1

Answered . A lease is a contract and its terms are legally enforceable. It terms cannot be altered until it expires. A landlord cannot force a renter with a valid lease to sign a new one. That would appear to be the reason that your landlord is "trying" to get you to sign a new one. Good luck.