The answers to my question are awful. I was told get legal advice. I can't afford a lawyer. Most folks can't. WHAT TO DO???

Bardstown, KY |

I obtained from a Federal Judge an ORDER upholding my claim against the Meade County attorney in Kentucky, under 42 U.S.C. Section 1983. But the judge won't provide an ORDER to protect me. Kentucky is corrupt. The county attorney is in a rural community and is protecting Mary Ann Tobin, a very rich, politically connected, illegal business owner. The Louisville Judge refuses a protective order. How put pressure on him? With a complaint to the Court of Appeals? What could do it? As with most folks I have NO money for a lawyer. I contacted someone in Louisville but he never answered me. [NOT nice.] Lawyers today ONLY care about money & being politically correct, in the loop. The Constitution ONLY matters if money can be made off of it. It's all money & business: NO values.

1. How does it work out for you when you have no money to fix a hole in your roof? Or figure out why you can't lose a persistent cough you've had for a month? Or why the "check engine" light comes on in your car? Or why your furnace doesn't come on when you turn the thermostat up? Etc. Where are the "pro bono" plumbers, car mechanics and roofers?

I guess your answer is to organize as citizen to root out this corruption you see and get thousands of people to agree with you and cast ballots for reform candidates. That is, if people agree with you. Last time I checked, Kentucky is a "conservative" state which voted for Republicans like Romney and Mitch McConnell who favor the status quo....of the 1890s, so I wouldn't either hold my breath for change there...or blame "lawyers" or "who only care about money" for the predicament you see. There seem to be more obvious candidates for your populist ire...but lawyers have always been convenient targets...

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

2. The answers you received weren't awful at all. They were limited by your abbreviated and confusing facts and by your circumstances. You called me -- and I responded to you, even though I am in California and could not conceivably offer you any meaningful help. What did you expect to cause? A self-funded ride to the rescue across the country?

Where did you get the notion that attorneys don't need to pay their bills, put food on their tables, or send their children to college? Someone misinformed you very severely. Attorneys practice law as a means of making a living. It's not social work, not philanthropy, and not on demand. Do you work for free?

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

3. This message is more of a rant than a question. The asker's comments about lawyers go far to show that s/he is not in this forum for any proper purpose. Since when are lawyers obligated to accept all clients, or to proceed uncompensated? The asker talks about the Constitution but fails to remember the prohibition against involuntary servitude. This message is in violation of Avvo's Terms of Service.

Professional ethics topics