The AC unit in our Florida rental home has failed, and the landlord will not fix. What are my options?

I rent a house in St Pete Florida, and the AC unit has stopped working, The landlord is having severe financial and legal issues, and claims he can not afford to do the work or replace the unit. I know the landlord is battling foreclosure, and he probably just doesn't see the benefit of tossing away his money on a house he may not have in a few months. What are my options?

Saint Petersburg, FL -

Carol Lynne Zimmerly

Carol Lynne Zimmerly

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - Kissimmee, FL

Send a 7 day letter to cure or you will withhold rent. Send the letter certified mail return receipt requested. give 7 days after receipt of the letter to fix.

You may be able to get the landlord to agree that you will fix the A/C and deduct it from the rent. Get it in writing and signed by both parties.

K Scott Warrick

K Scott Warrick

Personal Injury Lawyer - Milton, FL

Read section 83.51 Florida statutes. You can do the seven day process above and then withhold rent. You can also move to a place with a better landlord. I suggest moving so you are not dealing with this landlord and his troubles in the future.

Robert Jason De Groot

Robert Jason De Groot

Criminal Defense Attorney - Deltona, FL

Do as the other attorneys suggest. Send the 7 day letter only if you want to stay there. Then repair and deduct.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239