Thank everyoen for wonderufl information,

Newton, MA |

I must find a new attonrey- two final questions, do all attnys in MA required to take credit cards and if that is not enough, can they paid by the sale of the marital home or our condominuim?

As far as I know most business's in the US are not required to ever accept credit cards, we are a free country in most cases which is what makes us so great. That being said, most professional offices do accept credit cards, in our office we accept all major credit cards and debit cards and have done so for many years. some offices do not accept AMEX as it is expensive to process, however we do. Many lawyers will agree to be paid partially from the sale of marital assets if you have run out of your retainer, however be careful because it gives the attny an incentive to close the case and the bottom line is that you need the best results for you and your family which may not always be the fastest result. Take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Many attorneys will accept credit cards — just check the avvo profiles for payment options. As for postponing payment until the marital home is sold, you would have to negotiate that with the individual attorney, but it is definitely not out of the question.

Good luck — hope things go well

This is not legal advice and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. You should speak to an attorney for further information.

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis

I agree with counsel.

I hope that we have provided you with the information you need to move forward with your matter. With regards to the credit card question, no, Attorneys are not required to accept credit cards, and many do not. You may be able to find an Attorney who will accept your case with no retainer, but with provisions to the agreement that provide for payment once the marital estate is divided. What is more likely to occur is that you are able to retain counsel for a smaller retainer, with the understanding that the Attorney will petition the court to have your legal costs paid for by your husband. The terms of your agreement will depend on your conversations with your counsel.

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis

I agree with counsel.