Texas LLC owned by California Sole Proprietorship

Asked about 1 year ago - Oceanside, CA

I have just moved to California and I plan on creating a sole proprietorship in California. I had lived in Texas in the past and had created a Texas LLC during that time. I do not want to register the LLC in CA because of $800 minimum tax on LLC's in CA. Can I have the CA sole proprietorship own the TX LLC and avoid the $800 tax?

1. Matthew R. Auric

Pro

4

1

Answered . In order for the TX LLX to do business in CA it must register with the Secretary of State as a foreign corporation; once registered with the Secretary the $800 minimum tax will be imposed.

2. Scott Joseph Fruchter

4

1

Answered . You could have the California Sole Proprietorship buy the assets of the Texas business and operate as an S P in CA. This has tax advantages and liability disadvantages.

Don't forget about business license and fictitious name issues.

3. John P Corrigan

2

Answered . Apparently no based upon what several CA attorneys have posted in regard to this very same question.