Texas law regarding minors

Asked over 1 year ago - Katy, TX

What age must a child be in order to choose with whom they wish to live?

This situation doesn't involve divorce. In this case the child (12 yrs old) wants to live w/ her grandmother rather than her mother.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. William Tyler Moore Jr


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Generally speaking, the child may voice a preference at 12. However, it isn't binding on the judge. As a grandparent, you don't have standing as a general rule. I think you need a consultation with an experience family law attorney regarding your situation.

    I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you... more
  2. Fran Brochstein

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Basically, you are asking a "trick" question. The technical answer is 18 since the child cannot make decisions until they become an adult.

    However, I do agree with Attorney Moore. A child, if done appropriately, can meet with a judge in the judge's chambers and discuss the child's preferences. However, it is not binding on a judge's decision. The decision is the whatever the judge decides is in the child's best interest & that term is not defined in the State of Texas.

    Please talk to an experienced family law attorney. You have an uphill battle in attempting to gain custody of a child as a grandparent.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,158 answers this week

2,987 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,158 answers this week

2,987 attorneys answering