Texas gun laws for felons

Fort Worth, TX |
Filed under: Criminal defense

Texas gun laws, I have been convicted of a felony however Texas hunters hand book says I may hunt with a black powder rifle. I have also heard that I may hunt with a shotgun. I know federal law superceedes... I am only interested in Texas state laws. Is this true? What can or cant i carry? Is there any way to get my full rights back as a felon? I have completed all parole and haven't had any trouble since.

1. Under Texas law you may possess a firearm in your home five years after (in your case) your release from parole. You may not possess a firearm away from your home. To regain your full rights to possess firearms you will need a pardon from the Governor.

This opinion is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney in person.

2. I believe Mr. Leonard is correct. You cannot afford to ignore federal law (with which I am not familiar), so make sure you consult an attorney who knows both state and federal law. I have heard other attorneys who have a special interest in this area say that it is legal for a felon to own and use a black powder rifle, so it may be, but I have never researched it myself. I must say that I'm skeptical about the shotgun issue, but, again, I have not researched that question.

This answer is intended to be taken as general information and not as specific legal advice. You should always consult a qualified attorney and make him familiar with all the relevant facts in order to get proper legal advice. Every case is different, and they must be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. David N. Smith 812 W. 11th Street, Suite 201 Austin TX 78701 (512) 457-0100 defenseattorneysmith.com