Texas gun laws for felons

Asked over 2 years ago - Fort Worth, TX

Texas gun laws, I have been convicted of a felony however Texas hunters hand book says I may hunt with a black powder rifle. I have also heard that I may hunt with a shotgun. I know federal law superceedes... I am only interested in Texas state laws. Is this true? What can or cant i carry? Is there any way to get my full rights back as a felon? I have completed all parole and haven't had any trouble since.

1. Ben Dodson Leonard

Answered . Under Texas law you may possess a firearm in your home five years after (in your case) your release from parole. You may not possess a firearm away from your home. To regain your full rights to possess firearms you will need a pardon from the Governor.

2. David N. Smith

Answered . I believe Mr. Leonard is correct. You cannot afford to ignore federal law (with which I am not familiar), so make sure you consult an attorney who knows both state and federal law. I have heard other attorneys who have a special interest in this area say that it is legal for a felon to own and use a black powder rifle, so it may be, but I have never researched it myself. I must say that I'm skeptical about the shotgun issue, but, again, I have not researched that question.