Skip to main content

Texas child support, military considerations

Lampasas, TX |

Is bah/bas protected when the amount of child support is calculated in Texas? I am an e-5 paying child support for one child while my section sgt, e6, is paying considerably less than me and he's paying for 2. His bah and bas were not calculated into his support

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


No, bah and bas are not 'protected' in any state.

FYI, its very possible either you misunderstood the E6 or you did not get the full story.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

Leonard C. Morales

Leonard C. Morales


Mr. Rafter is right on. All pay is counted (BAH,BAS, COLA, any specialty pay) in Texas. There are any number of reasons your E-6's support might be less than what you think it should be. Don't rely on rumor, gossip or barracks lawyering. Get a lawyer or at the very least go see your legal assistance lawyer (the JAG).


Your BAH/BAS is not "protected" in any state. In fact, it is part of the calculation when determining the level of child support required. Visit the legal assistance office at your base/station- they will be able to run the numbers for you. Good luck.


Bah/Bas are included in calculating child support. It is possible that your friend had an agreement not include these in his child support calculation. Of course there are some courts that do not include Bas - this is not the norm.

Bobby Barina's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Mr. Barina offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call his office at 254-699-3755 to make an appointment or visit his website at for more information about his services.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer