Skip to main content

Texas. Does HOA have to give me an itemized statement of late fees or additional charges? Overbilled $1000 and they wont answer.

Missouri City, TX |

Due to lengthy illness resulting in disability we got behind on HOA dues. The first thing we did when we received lump sum in Feb 2012 was attempt to pay HOA off. The amount on statement $2666 was for years 2007-2012. We filed 7 bankruptcy in 2011. The HOA attorney said he had to adjust the late fees because of that. We paid $1980 amt for all assessments 2007-2012 (no late fees) and waited for the adjustment. We received releases of liens for years 2007 through 2011. We heard nothing else so we thought the HOA settled everything. In Sept a ltr from attorney says we owe 2010, 2011, ,2012. When called he says pay 559.16 the amount on ltr for 2012 and an adjusted statement would be sent. The new statement comes and the amount is $2034 with no further explanation or itemization.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


My first issue is to check with your bankruptcy lawyer (which I do NOT practice). The can tell you whether you owe anything for 2011 and earlier

There is no statute that says they have to give you an itemization (at least none of which I am aware). But, the only way you can "force" them to explain themselves (and get in "good standing" would to be to file some form of declaratory judgment lawsuit. That would be a royal pain,

Depending on what your bankruptcy lawyer says, keep trying to reach the attorney or someone on the HOA Board.

Good luck

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer