Texans suing State of Texas

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

How can a Texan go about suing State of Texas? Does he/she need an appointed Federal Lawyer or there's a private lawyer who will handle? Thanks.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Sarahjane Davidson

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your question doesn't contain enough information to answer it. Moreover, there's a thing called sovereign immunity which prevents governmental units (including the state) from being sued in many areas of the law - in other words, the state is immune from suit in many instances.

    IF your claims are claims that would be allowed to proceed against the State, you would have to hire a private lawyer. Generally, you can't get a lawyer "appointed" to represent you in a civil suit.

  2. Byron Keith Barclay

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Filing suit (any suit) is not very difficult. Sustaining that suit, particularly without legal counsel, is a much more difficult task. As Ms. Davidson points out, you have not provided enough facts about the kind of claim you want to bring for anyone to advise you about how to do it, or how difficult it would be to bring such an action. If you will provide additional facts about your claim, I would be happy to comment in more detail.

    There is no legal relationship created or implied by the exchange of messages or information on this website. All... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,048 answers this week

2,902 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,048 answers this week

2,902 attorneys answering