Texans suing State of Texas

Houston, TX |

How can a Texan go about suing State of Texas? Does he/she need an appointed Federal Lawyer or there's a private lawyer who will handle? Thanks.

1. Your question doesn't contain enough information to answer it. Moreover, there's a thing called sovereign immunity which prevents governmental units (including the state) from being sued in many areas of the law - in other words, the state is immune from suit in many instances.

IF your claims are claims that would be allowed to proceed against the State, you would have to hire a private lawyer. Generally, you can't get a lawyer "appointed" to represent you in a civil suit.

2. Filing suit (any suit) is not very difficult. Sustaining that suit, particularly without legal counsel, is a much more difficult task. As Ms. Davidson points out, you have not provided enough facts about the kind of claim you want to bring for anyone to advise you about how to do it, or how difficult it would be to bring such an action. If you will provide additional facts about your claim, I would be happy to comment in more detail.

There is no legal relationship created or implied by the exchange of messages or information on this website. All statements by me are offered as general guidance, but should not be considered in any way to be legal advice for you to act on without consultation with a licensed lawyer in your state. In all cases, an attorney should be retained to review the full circumstances and deliver advice consistent with the information and guidance offered on this site. Legal advice is ONLY offered by me in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.