Terminating parental rights due to abandonment.

Asked over 1 year ago - Jacksonville, FL

I gave birth to my son March of 2008. I never married his father. I filed for child support a couple weeks after his birth and the state has NEVER been able to locate him with none of the addresses and phone numbers I have given them. He is totally non compliant. Would I be a candidate for terminating his rights under the abandonment law since the state and myself have been unable to locate him for WAY LONGER than 60 days?

1. Daniel A. Bachert

3

1

Answered . No the abandonment law you are referring to is only applicable when the state is making a determination as whether both parents parental rights should be terminated and the child is made a ward of the state. You will not be able to terminate the fathers rights and responsibilities unless and until there is another person willing to adopt the child , usually a stepparent.

Sincerely,

Daniel Bachert, Esq.
    The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
    330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
    West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
    (561) 653-3951
    Palm-Beach-Divorces.com