Terminating Biological Father's Rights (Oklahoma)

Asked over 5 years ago - Cushing, OK

My daughter's father has had no contact with her for 3 years. There has been no child support paid either. He was just convicted of 2 felonies and sentenced to 9 years. My current husband would like to adopt my daughter. Where do I start? What are the chances of of terminating rights since he is incarcarated?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Michele A. Zavos

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . The laws of Oklahoma will control your husband's petition for adoption. You disclose that your daughter's birth father has had not contact with her for three years and has not supported her financially. If he did so voluntarily (he wasn't in jail), then he has essentially given up his parental relationship with her. If your husband has acted as the child's father, supporting her both emotionally and financially, he should be able to adopt her, even over her birth father's objection. Generally, a court will waive the consent of a birth parent who either has not developed or ended a relationship with a child. This acts like a termination. However, you need to talk to an adoption lawyer in Oklahoma. Go to the website for the American Academy of Adoption Attorneys to find an experienced attorney to work with.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,352 answers this week

2,971 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,352 answers this week

2,971 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary