Skip to main content

Terminated accused of theft I did not do, former boss admitted to the theft I have ten yr. contract can they fire?

Saint Paul, MN |

I was terminated from my employer last week. I was terminated because they have accused me of theft that I did not do, my former boss is the one who stole and he has even admitted to it and took responsibility and I had no part in it. I have a 10 year contract that says they cannot fire me only by theft or swindle. Can I be fired, I know they fired me just because they wanted to clean house so they used that as their way out of my contract. There is no evidence of this whatsoever because I had no knowledge of where my former boss got the money that he said he would help me out with in my time of need to help me with an attorney fee that I was in need of a year or so ago. I have been treated like a piece of dirt ever since my boss left for treatment and he admitted he had stole fr

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you have a contract that limits the employer's ability to terminate you, then you may have a valid claim. You should consult in person with an employment lawyer to get a careful evaluation.

My answers to questions posted on AVVO are intended to provide general information only, and are not intended to be legal advice. Employment law issues typically require a careful case-by-case analysis. Consequently, if you feel that you need legal advice, I would encourage you to consult in person with an employment attorney in your area.


It sounds like you have a written contract, in which case its terms govern the situation. You should sit with an attorney who can apply your facts to the contract and let you know your various options.


I agree that you may have an action for breach of your employment contract. You may also have a claim for self-publication defamation. That is, if you are required to tell prospective future employers that you were terminated for theft, that could also give you a claim.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer