Terminated accused of theft I did not do, former boss admitted to the theft I have ten yr. contract can they fire?

Asked 12 months ago - Saint Paul, MN

I was terminated from my employer last week. I was terminated because they have accused me of theft that I did not do, my former boss is the one who stole and he has even admitted to it and took responsibility and I had no part in it. I have a 10 year contract that says they cannot fire me only by theft or swindle. Can I be fired, I know they fired me just because they wanted to clean house so they used that as their way out of my contract. There is no evidence of this whatsoever because I had no knowledge of where my former boss got the money that he said he would help me out with in my time of need to help me with an attorney fee that I was in need of a year or so ago. I have been treated like a piece of dirt ever since my boss left for treatment and he admitted he had stole fr

1. Darrel S Jackson

Pro

2

Answered . If you have a contract that limits the employer's ability to terminate you, then you may have a valid claim. You should consult in person with an employment lawyer to get a careful evaluation.

2. Michael Hutchens Frasier

Pro

Answered . It sounds like you have a written contract, in which case its terms govern the situation. You should sit with an attorney who can apply your facts to the contract and let you know your various options.

3. David W. Larson

Answered . I agree that you may have an action for breach of your employment contract. You may also have a claim for self-publication defamation. That is, if you are required to tell prospective future employers that you were terminated for theft, that could also give you a claim.