Tenants trying to get out on the lease agreement but breaching the lease by moving into additional person/people on the house

Asked over 1 year ago - Everett, WA

When I send letter telling the tenant he had breach the lease by not comply with the lease agreement by moving into additional with my written approval . The addition person or people need to go through the application process and get approval . He said he feel threaten and he would like to terminated his lease early he had 5 months left on the lease . What can I do at this point ? Can he use that trying to get out of the lease ? The lease agreement said that if he vacate the lease early he is responsible for the remainder of the term . What can I do at this point ? Thanks for the help .

1. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

9

Answered . If your tenant breaches the lease, then you can evict him. What he probably doesn't understand is that a lease is a contract and theoretically he would owe the remaining rent due under the term of the lease. However, in most states, including Washington, a landlord has a duty to mitigate damages. What this means is that if your tenant breaches the lease and you either evict him or he moves out, you must make reasonable efforts to re-rent the premises.

2. Scott K Matthews

3

Answered . I agree with Mr. Peeples. Additionally, you might want to consider whether you want to bother trying to keep this tenant. If you just let him go, you can re-rent immediately (if the market is good) and keep you cash flow up. If you evict him, it will take most of a month to get him out, after which you'll have to sue him separately for the rent you lose, after which you'll have to try and collect.

If the market is good, accept his 20-day notice as long as he keeps current on his rent.
    If the market is poor, consider whether the potential size of the judgment is worth the cost and effort of suing and collecting, and the lost-rent time while you evict him.

3. Christopher Daniel Cutting

3

Answered . I agree with the prior answer from Ms. Peeples. I would like to add that your tenant may be trying to get out of the lease by claiming you are harassing him. See RCW 59.18.575. If a tenant makes a report of unlawful harassment by his landlord, he can sometimes terminate the lease. Issuing a ten-day notice is not harassment because it is lawful. Act carefully, however, as this tenant may be trying to take advantage of you.