Tenants rights under CA landlord tenant laws regarding rodent infestation duties and rights of landlords

Santa Barbara, CA |

Our house has had a mouse problem for almost a year now. Our landlord has paid for traps, but neglected to call an exterminator because she think they will only poison them. We have dogs, so that will not work and it is an old house and she is afraid they will die in the walls. I am pregnant now and afraid of being harmed. She says that it is our fault because there is clutter in the house (wedding presents and art supplies stacked in the office). They have ruined a large amount of my and my husbands clothes and other belongings. She offered to pay for new Uggs that were ruined, then decided to only pay half.

We found a mouse nest in our couch last week & she finally agreed to let me call an exterminator, but will not poison after a loud argument about how we need to clean our clutter.

Landlords are responsible for pest control unless the tenants are negligent in causing the problem. If you are comfortable that you did not cause the problem, the landlord is liable to you for breach of warranty of habitability. But the court may not impose liability on the landlord unless you have demonstrated that you've given the landlord a chance to fix the problem.

Take a look at the following legal guide for information on your rights as a tenant in this situation:

I agree with Kenny Tan's response. For more information, see:

Landlord-tenant topics