Tenants rights: do we have a right for a new carpet after living in the unit for over 7 years

San Mateo, CA |

Please advice me:
I and my family been living in our appartment for over 7 years and recently we all developed allergies from the worn out carpet that we tried many times to shampoo it and clean it from our own expenses...basically the poor carpet ran it's maximum mileage. Is it legal for the manager of the building to deny us a new carpet eventhough we been living in the unit for more than 7 years and we have medical reasons to ask for a clean carpet?

1. Youa re correct in stating that the useful life of carpet is only about 7 to 10 years, but unfortunately absent a local rent control ordinance providing something to the contrary, your are NOT entitled to new carpet. Under California law, a landlord is only required to replace or repair carpet that is torn, or provides a tripping hazard.

Disclaimer. Ms. Marsh is an attorney licensed to practice in California. The information posted above is for general information, does not constitute professional legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship. Ms. Marsh strongly advises the questioner to consult with an attorney to thoroughly review his or her particular circumstances and for advice tailored to his or her specific circumstances.