Skip to main content

Tenants broke lease and moved out of state.

Boca Raton, FL |

I had a tenant who lived out their deposit caused a fair amount of damage to my home in Florida, and moved to New York. If I hired a PI located their current address, hired a process server in NY, could I serve them with a judgment from Florida? I have not yet obtained judgment, I just assume it would default as they will not appear in court in Florida now that they live in NY.

Thank you kindly for your time.

Attorney Answers 3


To obtain a judgment for damages, you need personal service on the defendants. So you need to locate them in NY and have them served with the summons. Posting the summons and mailing a copy is only effective for obtaining possession, not for money damages.

No attorney-client relationship is created by answering questions in this public forum. If you wish to create an attorney-client relationship, you must contact me directly and sign a representation agreement. Answers are provided based on general ideas and an answer specific to your situation would require a review of all documents.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


Not sure you asked a direct question. I will just give my quick first impression (I am not a FL attty):
You can sue
You can obtain a judgment in FL.
You can move to enforrce your judgment in NY.
t will take some time, some money, and some effort.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. Addressing your issue does not create an attorney-client relationship and I AM NOT providing you legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Yes, you can hire a PI to locate the former tenant.
Serve them with the summons from the lawsuit.
Have a hearing in FL on the lawsuit.
Obtain a Final Judgment.
Record a certified copy of the Final Judgment in the jurisdiction where they live.
Commence garnishment or collection efforts in their jurisdiction.

By the way, no tenant can live out their security deposit. It is not legal for landlords or tenants (even if they both "agree") to use the security deposit against charges while the tenant is in the premises. After move-out, the LL may be able to use the security deposit against the outstanding charges if they follow the law. I strongly suggest to my landlord clients that they join a local landlord group to keep up to date on the law. Good luck.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics