Tenant's rights when giving a 60 day notice of moving out is not possible, do I have to pay the fee

Memphis, TN |

I live in a large apartment complex. My lease states that I am required to give 60 days notice before I move out and that I must receive written confirmation that they received it. It does not however give a timeframe for receiving that written notice from them. I put my notice that I was moving out in a rent drop box on the side of their building. I got busy with work and did not end up checking back with them until a month later. At that point they told me that they had not received my move out notice and that I was responsible for 60 days rent from the point that I came to check in with them. Should I pay the extra $1000 that it is going to cost me?

1. In the future, send all legal notices by certified mail, return receipt requested. It costs five dollars or so, but it gets people's attention. If you haven't found a new place already, just delay your move by another month.