Tenant's rights when giving a 60 day notice of moving out is not possible, do I have to pay the fee

Asked over 5 years ago - Memphis, TN

I live in a large apartment complex. My lease states that I am required to give 60 days notice before I move out and that I must receive written confirmation that they received it. It does not however give a timeframe for receiving that written notice from them. I put my notice that I was moving out in a rent drop box on the side of their building. I got busy with work and did not end up checking back with them until a month later. At that point they told me that they had not received my move out notice and that I was responsible for 60 days rent from the point that I came to check in with them. Should I pay the extra $1000 that it is going to cost me?

1. William Chuang

Answered . In the future, send all legal notices by certified mail, return receipt requested. It costs five dollars or so, but it gets people's attention. If you haven't found a new place already, just delay your move by another month.