Tenant refuses to pay increased rent. What should I do?

Asked about 4 years ago - Bayside, NY

My tenant has been renting the top floor of my house for 8 years. Every year we increase the rent on January 1st by 50$. But this year we increased the rent by 100$ because of the increasing costs of utilities and such. I wrote them a note stating the rent increase amount and the reasons. The tenant walked up to me, ripped up the note and said she refused to pay the increase. Now I don't know what to do. Is there a way for her to pay the increased rent?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Gerry M. Wendrovsky

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . You will have to decide whether you are willing to deal further with a tenant who acts out and does not pay rent, or to start an eviction proceeding in the Civil Court, Queens County.

    Contact me at the link below if you wish to discuss further.

    "My law office is in your neighborhood”

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,704 answers this week

3,297 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,704 answers this week

3,297 attorneys answering