Tenant/landlord, month-to-month lease and tenants rights during a short sale

Moreno Valley, CA |

I am a tenant ( month to month lease for 2 years ) living in a rental that is going through a short sale . The notice is dated February 7th , but was issued February 22nd . The notice states to " move as soon as possible ( no date ) and also states " sorry for any inconvenience " . The landlord then scratched out " move as soon as possible " and then had all 3 tenants including myself sign the notice ( I have a copy of it ) . The verbal arrangements my landlord made with me was for my last month of my tenancy , she would not charge me rent ( so I have not paid Feb 2013 as of yet ) . Would February 2013 be my last month or March 2013 . I gave a 30 - day notice today , but plan to move March 16th . I am so confused and want to legally do the right thing , as well as know what my rights

This notice sounds confusing. Had the landlord put a date on which your tenancy would end, your signature would have made it enforceable. But it does not appear to be so from your description.

Your landlord probably waived February rent based on the understanding you were moving out quickly. You still owe February rent since you are still there. You also owe rent for all of March. You may be moving out the 16th, but your tenancy ends the 30th.

Your landlord may be willing to accept less rent for March if you move out before the end of the month. See what deal you can come up with. Get a signed agreement stating, for example, that you will pay half rent and move out by the 16th.

Recommended articles about Real estate