Tenant in foreclosed property , NY

Centereach, NY |

I just rented half of a house . We moved in 1/30/13 with a lease start date of 2/1/13. On 2/1, a process server knocked on the door with a 10 day eviction notice. Apparently The House sold at auction 9/26/12. Yesterday, we were served with "final eviction" court date of 3/13/13. We JUST moved in and paid rent/security to someone who lost the property last year. What can I expect to happen to my family? What are my options? And no, I do not know where my "landlord" is to try to gt my money back. I do not have the means to move again.

1. Unfortunately, since the house was sold prior to you executing a lease your landlord did not have the right to rent it to you and the lease is invalid. You should contact the police who may be successful in locating the landlord and give you some hope of getting your money back. Your best bet would be to work with the bank to try and get some time to move out. HIre an attorney, or if you can not afford one try and get legal aid society to represent you, to negotiate some time to get out.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.