Tenant has left property (2 months into lease) and refuses to remove personal property until they are paid for their troubles.

Asked over 1 year ago - West Palm Beach, FL

The unit is part of a association building. It appears a water pipe broke in the wall and the tenant never corresponded with the landlord until all their personal property was ruined (mold) and the place was inhabitable.

The tenant is in month 2 of a 1 year lease and has moved to a hotel. They refuse to sign a release of the lease (we are willing to get them out) unless we pay them their entire sec. deposit, replace value of personal property and reimburse the hotel stay until they find a new place to live.

What are the rights of the landlord to remedy the unit (removal of mold ) when the tenant has no intention of returning unless we meet their demands? We are requesting they remove their personal property but can we state we will remove it for them at a charge to the tenant?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Marshall C Deason Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . The Disposition of Personal Property Landlord and Tenant Act (the “Disposition Act”) [see § 715.10 et seq., Fla. Stat.] sets out a procedure for disposing of property that a tenant left behind on the property. You can dispose of the tenant's property according to the procedure set out in the Disposition Act. If you are unsure of your rights and responsibilities under the Disposition Act, you should consult an experienced real estate lawyer in your area.

    Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does... more
  2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Sue them. You likely have a couple theories to move on. If they failed to notify LL of burst pipe they may be liable for some or all of the damage, repair, mold mitigation, etc.

    See a LL-Tenant attorney immediately and start the process.

    READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia.... more
  3. Rebecca Lynne Melone

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . The lease agreement should govern most of this dispute. If you are uncertain of your rights and obligations, or if the agreement is unclear, you should meet with a landlord/tenant attorney for a consultation.

Related Topics

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Lease agreements for renting

A lease agreement is a contract that gives the tenant the right to live in a property, usually for a specific period of time and with certain limitations.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,769 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,769 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering