Tenant doesn't pay and doesn't move. What can I do?

Asked about 4 years ago - Oakland, CA

Just want to know what can we do if the tenant doesn't pay the rent, and refuses to move? Oakland, California

Thanks!

We've sent out all the notices and gave her more than the amount of days on the rental contract to prepare, but I think she doesn't have the ability to pay the rents she owes. However, I think she doesn't want to move neither. Just want to know what options we have?

1. Gregg Adam Martin

Answered . While your question does not distinguish whether this is a residential or commercial tenancy, in either case, you need to serve the tenant with a notice to pay rent or quit or, it at the end of the lease term, a notice to quit (assuming that you haven't created a month to month tenancy). You need to make sure you give the proper notice (also check your lease (assuming you have one)). Once you do that, you will need to initiate an unlawful detainer action action if the tenant doesn't move.

As you seem to be unaware of your rights as a landlord, you should probably contact an attorney who can help you assess your options and what to expect the costs to be if you can't get the tenant out voluntarily.