Ten years green card and divorce.

Asked about 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I got my green card through marriage to US citizen, I got my green card 10 months ago. we have been married for almost three years. I didn't get conditional green card. Last week, my wife left the home. Here Mom called me and she was threatening me. and she told me, " we will call the immigration and cancel your green card". Now, My wife asking for divorce.

if a divorce happen, what will happen to my green card and my status. Can I still apply for citizenship. what kind of problem will the divorce couse on my citizenship application.

Finally, I was on H1B visa when I applied for my green card. and I'm still working with the same company and they are welling to do my papers if needed.

Please advise

1. Alena Shautsova

Pro

1

7

Answered . If it was a real marriage, all you need to do to get your citizenship after the divorce, is to wait for 5 years in permanent resident status. You will be fine!

2. Raphael Samuel Moore

1

Answered . If you have a green card, and it wasn't obtained through fraud with your wife (e.g., you did not agree to lie about your marriage to USCIS), then there isn't much they can do. The green card was based on your original marriage 3 years earlier, and not based on the more recently failed marriage.

3. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . Depends on what allegations are made to USCIS and what proof you have that you entered into the marriage in good faith.