Temporary Restraining Order, can I get my daughter?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

I filed a TRO when I had physicial custody of my daughter based on abuse she suffered at the hands of her father's fiance. Her father has primary physical custody. The TRO was finally signed and a hearing date set, only issue is my daughter is now in her father's physical custody. Can I go get my daughter? What are my options?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. William Tyler Moore Jr


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Get a lawyer and see about a writ of attachment. If you tried to do this on your own, you made a major mistake. TROs have a limited life and will expire on their own. Trying to get legal advice on a website and do yourself what a lawyer would do compounds the mistake. Seriously, this is a matter requiring knowledge of the law, procedure, and evidence. Get professional help today and good luck. I suggest finding a board certified family law specialist to do this.

    I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you... more
  2. Eric B. Dick


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . You need to hire an attorney.

    A TRO normally only lasts for 14 days. You should seek a writ of attachment and set temporary orders.

    Eric Dick, LL.M.; Office: 832-207-2007; Cell: 713-498-7969; Email: eric@dicklawfirm.com; website: www.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,434 answers this week

2,762 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,434 answers this week

2,762 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary