Temporary custody or guardianship

Asked over 6 years ago - Sugarloaf, CA

i've been living with my grandma because my mom isn't able to support me but my grandma isn't fit to be a guardian anymore either. i was wondering if there was a simple way a family friend could get temporary custody of me or guardianship over me until i turn 18 in about 8 months. just so i would be able to live with the family friend instead of having problems at home with my grandma.

1. Marshall William Waller

Pro

1

1

Answered . You should consider petitioning the court to be declared an emancipated minor. However, if you are only 8 months away from turning 18 that seems hardly worth it. Maybe you can go to your grandma and ask her if she will let you live with the family friends; she might say "yes."

2. Sandra Dee Munoz

1

Answered . Your grandmother can ask the court to terminate her guardianship and give it to the family friends, but that still requires a hearing. It's not difficult, I'm just not clear of grandma is in agreement with your plans, or able to return to court. If she is you can get the forms online. Good luck to you!