Temp Agency claimed I Voluntarily chose to leave my job. I never did, causing denial of unemployment benefits. I want to appeal.

League City, TX |

I work for a temporary agency for the past 4 years. I was told I signed a document stating that I needed to contact the agency upon completion of my assignment. Day before my last day, my recruiter paid a visit to me and said they will start looking for an assignment for me and will be in contact with me. She did say she wanted me to be at the office the following week for a meet and greet and not mandatory. I did not go because I had to attend a cardiac appointment regarding my parents. Come to find out it was mandatory, apparently. I was not aware there were specified rules for temp agencies. I applied for unemployment 2 months later. They never said anything, she said nothing of a sort when she met with me at the site I was working at. Do I have basis for appealing their decision?

It is hard to say what your chances of winning an appeal would be.

Be aware that you must appeal within 14 calendar days from the date the decision is MAILED (not received).

You should consult with a lawyer that represented people with the TWC (Texas Workforce Commission).

I have handled a few of these type of cases, but I am located in Austin, you should look for a local lawyer.

Good Luck!