Technical question about paternity?

San Francisco, CA |

If a child is born and a father signs the birth certificate at the hospital, there is a two year window for anyone to challenge his paternity (aside from situations such as fraud etc.).
However what if the father signs an affidavit of paternity when the child is 3, does the "2 years since birth" rule still apply to challenging paternity? Or is it 2 years from the time of signing the affidavit?

This is a very complex area of law. Please kn ow that the original intent of all such laws was to protect children and make sure they had two parents-- there was no intention to prevent unfairness to a father.

See link below for much more information.

Ms. Straus (aka Carroll) may be reached at 800-400-8978 during regular business hours, Pacific Time, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Straus’ responses to questions posted on Avvo are intended as helpful information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are not to be relied upon as a final legal opinion. It may not be what you wished to hear, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Straus is licensed to practice law in California. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, and retain him or her. Me Straus provides “unbundled” services if you need specific assistance with a specific issue.

I need more information before I answer. I decline to comment for purely academic reasons. Has a man signed a declaration of paternity? If so, when? If not, why is some possible future declaration of paternity mentioned?

Birth certificate topics

Recommended articles about Birth certificate