Skip to main content

Tax Returns or tax transcripts for immigration sponsor ?

Jamaica, NY |

My wife will sponsor my green card application. Should she submit her tax returns form (1040) or tax transcripts or both to show her ability to sponsor me ? Thanks

Attorney Answers 6

  1. If you have both, use two together. Otherwise, 1040 form+ proof of employment should be sufficient.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

  2. Copies of signed and dated form 1040 federal tax returns with all schedules are sufficient in and of themselves. No need to also submit transcripts, unless you absolutely want too.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. You may submit both a copy of the return and a transcript, or either one individually. It is better if you can do both but not required.

    I am a lawyer, but I am not your lawyer (unless you have been in my office and signed a contract). This communication is not intended as legal advice, and no attorney client relationship results. Please consult your own attorney for legal advice.

  4. She will need to submit I 864 with a full copy of her tax return, no transcript is needed.

    New York Immigration lawyer. This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes.

  5. My colleagues have not mentioned this, so I will: if the sponsor has a lengthy tax return, the IRS transcript is much shorter, much less paper, and much less revealing than her own copy of the signed return. I prefer to use only the IRS transcript wherever possible because that kills fewer trees, because USCIS actually prefers it & regards it as more probative than the sponsor's own copy, and because it is less revealing.

    This is general information only. It is not intended as a substitute for legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice specific to your circumstances, you must consult an attorney in a confidential setting, not in an online forum.

  6. Either one is acceptable to the USCIS.

    This answer is of a general nature and does not in any way create an attorney-client relationship.

Tax law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics