Tax return with Citizenship application

Paterson, NJ |

When Submitting my tax returns with my citizenship application, do i just submit first and second pages, or submit everything including schedules and W2 forms, which will come up to 15 pages. Does USCIS want all these pages?

Everything. Citizenship is important and seems simple. There are many potential problem areas that many people miss when filing on their own. Seriously consider consulting with a lawyer to make sure you are not one of those people.

First of all, are you sure you need to submit your tax return? If you do, then I would suggest that you submit the complete tax return.

You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney about your case, to ensure the best chance of success with your application, and to avoid potential problems.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

Aren't you suppose to submit tax returns with your application? I thought that was a requirement.

Michael Hugh Carlin

Michael Hugh Carlin

Not necessarily. Only in certain situations. Take a look at the USCIS document: http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/attachments.pdf I suggest that you go over your application with an immigration attorney.

Ok I see. So Only if I am applying for naturalization based on marriage to USC?

Michael Hugh Carlin

Michael Hugh Carlin

The best I can tell you at this point is, read the USCIS documents, and/or consult with an attorney.

I submit full tax returns with the N-400.

If submitting tax returns, then the entire tax return should be submitted.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

One more question. From what I understand, tax returns are only submitted if my green card was based on marriage to a USC, and I am applying from three years? Is that correct? In all other cases, no tax returns are required.

Yolanda Navarrete

Yolanda Navarrete

Tax returns are required in many applications. I don't remember off hand which do, but it is in the instructions to the application.

Tax law topics