Tax Question

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I need a clear answer to this question.My wife is an intending immigrant,she is in Africa and am here in the US.I have heard alot of people say that i must not not file my tax as single because am married,that the consulate during her interview will ask her that your husband is married to you,while did he file tax as single,that it can lead to visa refusal.Because i thought that when my wife come to the US then we will file jointly,but now am here alone.Please kindly reply me what step to take next.Thank you.

1. Phillip Monroe Smith

4

Answered . If you are married, you have two filing optioins = married filing joint, or married filing separate. Filing single is not an option.

2. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

5

Answered . I've added the topic for your question to include income tax. It is actually a tax question not immigration. The issue is whether you can file married jointly (or married filed separately) on your 1040 even though she is currently abroad. The question I am sure can be answered by a tax attorney or a CPA.

3. Andrew B Gordon

Pro

2

Answered . You should file jointly or married filing separate; single is not an option.

One or more answers have been taken down.